In Proverbs 6:16-19 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: Today let us each examine each one of them and see just which one are we. I know some people will probably say that they are neither one, but I beg to differ because per God’s word for all have sin and fallen short of the glory of God.
Often, we read this verse and we move ahead to the next verses without giving it any thought about it. And I will be the first to say I do that at times, but when I come to verses like these where it talks about what God hates. I understand how merciful God is I also understand that God does not and will not ever put up with foolishness. He will not be mocked! It’s a sad thing when a person thinks that they are without sin.
1. A proud look – exalted eyes; those who will not condescend to look on the rest of mankind.
2. A lying tongue – he who neither loves nor tells truth.
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that devised wicked imaginations – the heart that fabricates such, lays the foundation, builds upon it, and completes the superstructure of iniquity
5. Feet that be swift in running to mischief – he who works iniquity with greediness.
6. A false witness that speaketh lies – one who, even on his oath before a court of justice, tells anything but the truth.
Seven are an abomination unto him – “to his soul.” The seventh is, he that soweth discord among brethren – he who troubles the peace of a family, of a village, of the state; all who, by lies and misrepresentations, strive to make men’s minds evil-affected towards their brethren.